The United States has often been referred to as a “nation of immigrants,” or a “melting pot.”  Generally, U.S. citizens pride themselves on being part of such an accepting country.  Indeed, millions of immigrants come to and remain in the U.S. every year.  As of 2004, there were about 25.4 million authorized migrants (includes naturalized citizens, lawful permanent residence (“green card holders”), and temporary legal residences) in the U.S.  Today, the United State’s immigration laws are vast and can be complicated for an individual to face.  In general, there are two different types of foreign nationals and two different paths to entering and remaining in the U.S.

Types of Foreign Nationals

The two different types of foreign nationals are non-immigrants and immigrants.  A non-immigrant is in the U.S. temporarily and maintains a foreign residence.  An immigrant is a foreign national who has abandoned their foreign residence and is seeking to remain in the U.S. indefinitely.  The most common immigrant is a lawful permanent resident (“LPR” or “green card holder”).

Paths to the United States

The two different paths to entering and remaining in the U.S. are through employment and/or family.  Employment based immigration most commonly requires a sponsor, i.e., a U.S. employer who will hire the foreign national.  There are also opportunities for foreign nationals to self-sponsor, i.e., apply for themselves.  Family based immigration also requires a sponsor, but in the family context this means that you are seeking entrance into the U.S. because of your relationship to either an LPR (“green card holder”) or a U.S. citizen.


Christensen Law International is happy to meet with you whether you are an employer who is seeking to hire their first foreign national, an employee seeking to obtain a green card, a foreign national seeking to enter the U.S. based on your relation to someone here in the U.S., or anything in-between.  Christensen Law International will happily assist you in the filing of nonimmigrant visas (such as B visas, H visas, L visas, or O visas), immigrant petitions (such as EB-1, EB-2, or EB-3 I-140’s), and, of course, adjustments through the I-485 petition and naturalization.  Please contact Christensen Law International today for a consultation.


Global Migration


In addition to immigration needs, there is an increasing trend in global migration.  In today’s global economy it is becoming more and more common for U.S. citizens to travel, live, and work abroad. Whether you are seeking to make a permanent move abroad, go on an extended vacation, or you are sending employees abroad, you should always operate within the immigration laws of the foreign countries to which you will be traveling.

Whether you need U.S. immigration or global migration assistance, Christensen Law has recently partnered with Christensen Law International to bring you these services.  Regardless if you are an individual or an employer, our immigration lawyers can give you the personal attention that you need and deserve when facing these complex matters.  Contact Christensen Law International today.